We often come to a term “Bounce Rate” when we talk about web analytics of a website. Bounce Rate is the percentage of website visitors who arrive at any page of the website and then leave the website without visiting any other page. It essentially represents the percentage of initial visitors to a site who “bounce” away to a different site, rather than continue on to other pages within the same site.
According to giant search company, Google : ” Bounce rate is the percentage of single-page visits or visits in which the person left your site from the entrance (landing) page. It means if the bounce rate is high, there are chances that a visitor do not find what they are searching and leaving your website without clicking it further more to any other page. The lower the bounce rate means, there are chances that more of your visitors are clicking through to the other content of your website.
Therefore, it is essential for every webmaster to keep the bounce rate minimum to take full advantage of your new visitors. Almost every website suffers from bounce rate and it is very important to understand bounce rate at a deeper level. That’s the reason, you can see bounce rate metric as default item on your Google Analytics dashboard. If Google included bounce rate as a default item, it means that bounce rate is fairly important matter.
What is Ideal Bounce Rate?
I believe that 0% is the ideal bounce rate which is impossible to achieve. But, any number that comes between 40-50% is not bad at all. This can be achieved by some useful and basic tips like quality content, better navigation, user interface etc. Let’s examine some basic but guaranteed ways to reduce bounce rate in more details below.
Useful tips to reduce Bounce Rate:
1) Website Design : Design of any website plays an important role in keeping your visitor stay a long time on your blog or website. So, it is very design a website with proper blend of color, neatness, good layout and proper user interface. This helps visitors to stay for some time at least for the pleasant design.
2) Provide Relevant Content : Give your visitors what they want. When writing content for your blog, keep your target segment in mind. Whenever you write content for your blog, keep your target segment in mind. Write quality content that is easy to understand and try to connect with your visitors using the language they speak. This way they will be more inclined to stay on your blog and significantly help lower your bounce rate.
3) Easy and Proper Navigation : Every page in your website should have clear and proper navigation to make the user experience better. Guide your users by linking to your internal pages and related posts. Use clear words for navigation options so whenever user finds difficult to find the content, he/she will use the navigation links to finds relevant content based on his/her interests.
4) Regularly update the content : One of the most important reason visitors leave the landing page because the content is inaccurate or outdated. Try to update your blog regularly or try to remove any reference to dates.
5) Better speed up your page load times : The loading time of your webpage is not only a important factor in SEO, but also important in having a visitor to stay in your site. Deactivate unnecessary plugins, optimize your images and code to speed up the loading time of your site. Your visitors surely check other content if your pages load faster and quicker.
6) Get rid of Pop-up ads : Try to avoid using pop-up ads because it annoys the reader. If you content on a site worth-reading, visitors don’t want any kind of distractions and pop-ups to join the newsletter or subscriptions irritates them.
7) Reduce external links : External links on your blog’s main page where your visitors mostly lands are extremely harmful and can make the bounce rate very high. So, try to reduce the external links that will help you to keep the visitors stay for longer time on your site.
8 ) Effective headline with relevant content inside : Writing a effective headline surely increase your click through rate which will in turn helps you to improve the bounce rate of your website. But, don’t forget that your headline match the content inside in your post. If user see that your headline doesn’t relates to your content, they would no longer stay to your blog.